Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Link to information about home games on computer  (Read 4956 times)

alfonzos

Link to information about home games on computer
« on: January 15, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:41:11 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Jan 15 2006, 08:58 PM\']Moby Games[/quote]
Nice to see some screen shots, but you and I both know that's not nearly a complete list of even the American game show home games on computer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:08:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 15 2006, 07:41 PM\'][quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Jan 15 2006, 08:58 PM\']Moby Games[/quote]
Nice to see some screen shots, but you and I both know that's not nearly a complete list of even the American game show home games on computer.
[snapback]107747[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow. That was flabbergastingly incomplete.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 03:52:31 AM »
Boy did Moby Games fail to recognize many games that were on the old NES or SNES systems back then too.  I guess they want to "emphasize" the "PC" games more than the "console" ones.

OTOH, it's nice to see those old snapshots of games I use to have for the IBM PC back in the 80's.  Nothing like rekindling old memories there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:13:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 16 2006, 12:52 AM\']Boy did Moby Games fail to recognize many games that were on the old NES or SNES systems back then too.  I guess they want to "emphasize" the "PC" games more than the "console" ones.
[snapback]107773[/snapback]
[/quote]
Even discounting the console games, it STILL was flabbergastingly incomplete.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 16 2006, 03:52 AM\']Boy did Moby Games fail to recognize many games that were on the old NES or SNES systems back then too.  I guess they want to "emphasize" the "PC" games more than the "console" ones.

OTOH, it's nice to see those old snapshots of games I use to have for the IBM PC back in the 80's.  Nothing like rekindling old memories there.
[snapback]107773[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not only that... but 1) of the games listed, many versions aren't (Missing Commodore 64 or Apple II versions for instance) and 2) some games aren't on there at all, even if they had DOS versions (Super Password comes to mind instantly).

EDIT:  looks like Chris summed up in 10 words what I just wrote in many more than 10 words :-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 04:07:57 PM by isucgv »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:34:57 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Jan 16 2006, 05:07 PM\']EDIT:  looks like Chris summed up in 10 words what I just wrote in many more than 10 words :-)[/quote]
Well, "flabergastingly" covers a lot of ground.

In the meantime, except for the fact that I'm long overdue for an update, as well as a clean-up of the fansite links at the bottom, I think you'll find this list is pretty darned near complete for American computer and video games:
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/elec/index.html
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 10:44:42 PM »
I'm not sure how many of you noticed, but to be fair to the site, it seems that the page is not intended (at least not yet) to be a comprehensive list of game show home games. Rather, it looks like the page on that site which lists all of the game show home games that they currently have in their database o' games.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

alfonzos

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »
I find it interesting that the British packaged the main and bonus games of Blockbusters separately in both the board game and PC versions!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos